Oodles of Boodles

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The moment

I have a friend who once described to me how his wife had "moments" as she stood lengthy amounts of time outside in the yard. Maybe she was meditating or praying. I don't know.
But I sided with his disgust of the whole ritual.
But today and a lot of days since I have found myself having many of these very
experiences and wondering if they are not the same sort of thing she was doing.
So I wonder if he would also be disgusted with me if he found out.
But today was another of those days.
I was having a "moment".

I had some beautiful music playing.
You know, the kind that has the recording of birds and water lapping the shore.
Totally cool.
The sun shone brilliantly overhead.
The breeze caught up the cottonwood leaves.
The herb garden was bent over in that same breeze.
I had to thank God for this moment of beauty and my heart squeezed with delight.
But the clincher and the humble confession I am about to make was the encounter I had with one form of unexpected beauty.
As the wind danced around me it picked up my hair and dropped it in front of my eyes.
Again and again it played with my locks.
But did I ever stop to realize before that when the sun hits a single strand of hair in a certain way there are rainbow prizms that glow and sparkle much like a diamond or a drop of water glinting in the sun?
Such mesmerizing colors and intricate design.
I was caught up just watching this light show.
God made something beatiful about human physicality that for once I could not find any reason for ultimate objection.
Perhaps that is why we take such care with our hair.
And a womans hair is her crowning glory, after all.
Silly as it seems, I really was glad for my "moment".

2 Comments:

  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Jacob said…

    I want long hair! Even if mine did shine with prisms of color, I would never know it. Ah well.

    I have those "moments" all the time. Once, all the clouds were brilliant pink (my favorite color as a kid, until I found out it wasn't manly to like pink), and they reminded me of the "pink elephants on parade" from Dumbo. Plus, they reflected off the pond and turned it pink as well. The more color in our lives the better.

     
  • At 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Like Jacob, I have moments all the time too. I love my "moments". I don't have enough of them as far as I'm concerned. My favorite opportunity is early morning when I take a cup of coffee and go outside to visit my many plant "friends" who love to greet me with their soft new green leaves and beautiful flowers. I just soak it all in. It is still cool enough outside to enjoy being there. I love it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home