Oodles of Boodles

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Splish Splash

Last night I went to a meeting called "homegroup". A fellowship of men and women who want to grow in their faith in God.
I am never entirely comfortable at these sort of meetings anymore.
Seems more damage is done than good or has done in my past.
But there I was again giving it another try.
I decided I might venture out and open up the teeniest little bit with one woman
who was speaking my language.
Sure enough there was a lot of words.
Some were wonderful, some were void. But she was really, really caring for me.
I knew it. I felt it.
I did not turn love away.
But I have grown up a little and now don't take every little word that someone utters to me about God as truth or law or wisdom.
I sat very quiet and mindful and did not even try to tell her any "but I's"
No self defense.
It did not matter that she did not know enough about me.
I just soaked in love and let words fall around my head and shoulders.
But, as the prayer she said came to a close she asked God to remind me to just
"take a bath in his presense" and I'm sure she said "bathe in his love".
Something to that effect. These words stood out for some reason.
As I drove home I remember thinking "well, I gotta do that. But how?"
I started thinking I will just get my bible and read and pray.
Then the usual frustration of where to do this in sanctuary and undisturbed quiet
began nagging at me. No where in my home can I find this.
I went to bed thinking.... Ah forget it.
Then this morning I woke and the words in my head were clear.........
"take a bath".
I did not know that these few words could so effect my life.
I grabbed my bible, my AA big book, my journals, etc..
and I high tailed it to the completely unused and abandoned bathroom downstairs.
As I slipped in to the tub my "Ahhhhh" was not just physical but spiritual too.
I was at last alone with God.
And He met me there.
"Thank you God for pointing the way"

1 Comments:

  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Jacob said…

    That is a nice gift. The trail behind my house was a gift of seclusion, rest, and sanctuary. We need them, methinks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home