Oodles of Boodles

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Am I an artist?

Tonight my husband and I had dinner with a couple that we both know from our work related areas of expertise.
She, a realtor, like my husband.
He, an artist; a potter who sells retail in a shop, like me. (A gift shop owner)
As we got to know eachother by way of relating our work experience I was asked about my talents somehow. I cannot remember how she worded the question.
But I recall that I launched into the opportunity to talk about myself.
So, what else is new? :-)
I told them that I was an artist.
As I enjoyed talking about this subject I also had a keen awareness of my need to validate my self proclaimed title of "artist".
I felt a panic in my ego; a doubt about whether I deserved this title or not.
What is it I would need in the way of proof to really deserve this title?
Is an artist born an artist? Or is there a level of production necessary to qualify?
Is it schooling? Is it opinion of others?
Art is an enigmatic career that has very little to do with fact or figures.
I am not a mathamatician unless I have had a certain level of schooling and experience that proves this to be true.
How about art?
Do blog site entries qualify me as a writer?
How about my unpublished book of poetry?
It was funny to watch and hear myself trying to persuade myself and these fine
folks of my right to the title of "artist" by naming the few things I'd done.
All subjective stuff.
I guess I really believe that we are born to our destiny and that these gifts are
given us at birth.
Passion for something isn't just learned, its also imprinted on our souls at conception.
I am an artist. As I live I become more of who I already am;
a larger and more experienced version of myself.
If asked a question of this nature in the future I might answer this way.....
I was born artistic and I am becoming more of an artist all the time.
That would really be a truth that needed no justification.
Blessings to our friends who we enjoyed eating with tonight.
It was lovely.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger tsduff said…

    Hi Becky,
    Hope you start blogging again. I like to read it :-)

     
  • At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Becky, artists are definitely born, not made. They are refined by education and experience but if it isn't in the soul to begin with, forget it. Your melancholy temperment lends itself to this gift. In fact, it is a rare melancholy who does not have some artistic expression. Keep creating beautiful things which are a deeper expression of the beauty that God has placed in you. I love you, David

     

Post a Comment

<< Home