Oodles of Boodles

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Ghost of Mother

I stood on the front porch one day and started calling "Kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty,........"
The word flew from my mouth in such high pitched quick succession that it sounded more like an indian woman's mournful keening than a house wife calling in her cat.
My kitty came tearing accross the lawn in anticipation of either love or food or both.
My husband looked at me so strangely as I picked up the cat.
Then he asked "how do you do that?".
"You mean the way I call the kitty?", I said.
"Yeah, I can't do that", he said as he gave it a try.
It came out sounding like a 14 year olds puperty voice breaking and changing pitch.
I figured it was sort of a unique talent after all.
I felt proud as I recalled where this talent came from.
My mother was also endowed with this talent among so many others.
How often had I heard her call this way from the front yard or front patio of our house for the many cats in our childhood?
Standing there, I felt I could be her.
A shadow. A variating replica.
The thought of it was spooky but I liked the idea that my mother does live on even after she leaves us someday.
I WILL carry on thus will my mother.

I have two daughters.
One seems more like me than the other.
Certainly they both resemble me in a pretty big way.
I cannot say that I thought much about whether they would carry on anything in my way but when I see similarities I am proud and pleased.
Certainly I am haunted by the difficulties that parallel mine.
I try to let them go in all ways to be their own person.
As they get older and time slips by the pain of "empty nest" seems to increase rather than decrease as it traditionally should.
No one told me it would be this hard to live without my "family".
Perhaps I wasn't listening with my heart.
But I come to understand what harbor there is in the community of family.
Doing without is like living on a desert island.
So, being just a few hours drive from 3 of my children I do take opportunity to see them as time permits.

My grandaughter just had her birthday.
My husband and I stayed at our daughters home.
It is a cute little place full of the warmth of an "Arends" person.
I tell her the same thing my daddy told me one day.
"Your home is very comfortable to me because it reminds me so much of the way your mother keeps her home."
(Some of the kindest words he ever spoke to me)
But my daughter does seem to emulate "home" as she knew it.
More than she means to, I am sure.
I never felt the hope of me and my mother living on so much I did on one particular morning at my daughters house.
I lay in her bed waking up from a warm and cozy night of sleep.
I stayed under the covers in a dreamy state just listening to the sounds of the morning while others were waking up in the household.
The floors squeaked from my daughters padding feet and I felt right at home.
From a place far away in my mind I heard the front door open and my young daughter
calling in high pitched, quick succession "Kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty......."
"Lord, I couldn't love her more than now."

4 Comments:

  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Jacob said…

    I remember being utterly fascinated by your "call to the wild" - it sounded like an indian war cry, but in a nice "here, kitty" sort of way. Did you know that I can kinda do it?

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger Becky Nelson said…

    Serious?
    I can't believe it.
    This I gotta hear.
    Practice up because it has to be good.
    (Tee Hee Tee Hee she says to herself in a devilish way)
    And how did you read and comment so quick when I just now posted this thing?
    You are so cute.
    And as far as fall goes....?
    Eat your heart out.
    But you know, Bozeman has to be pretty beautiful this time of year too. Thanks for the compliment on my pictures. Bob took the first one of the red tree and of me.
    I took the one of the leaves.
    P.S. Did you get my answer to a previous comment you made?

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Jacob said…

    Mom, you added more! And you made me cry. It makes me sick for family. You all mean so much to me.
    Of course Katherine tries to "emulate home as she knows it." We can't help it. I would argue that most of the ideals we carry stem from the ideal of recreating "home as you know it."
    Yes, I read the other comment! I love you so much!

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Becky, you are such a writer! where did you learn the word "keening"? Your vocabulary is that of one who went to college. your knowledge and wisdom is that of one who has a masters in "life" I love reading your blog and yours too Jacob should you read this.
    love you both, Mr dad

     

Post a Comment

<< Home